ProfileGrenada Ports Authority
With more than three decades of service to the nation behind it, The Grenada Ports Authority (GPA) is today better equipped than ever to play a major role in the economy of the nation.
Recent initiatives and investments by the GPA have been designed to boost Grenada's potential for cargo handling, the cruise sector and tourism. All of these bring direct benefits to the economy and people of the country.
The GPA played a crucial role in the island's recovery after Hurricane Ivan in 2004, handling most of the incoming relief and construction supplies. The Authority was also instrumental in restoring the cruise industry just two months later and providing a valuable injection of cash into the economy as the nation struggled to cope with the aftermath of the hurricane.
The Grenada Ports Authority is principally responsible for the administration and operation of the Port of St. George's. It also has jurisdiction over Prickly Bay, St. David's Harbour and Grenville, on the main island of Grenada, as well Tyrrel Bay, on the neighbouring island of Carriacou.
The GPA is a statutory organization controlled by the Minister of Finance who appoints the Chairman and Board of Directors. Its main functions are:
- To administer and operate Grenada's seaports
- To regulate and control navigation
- To maintain, improve and regulate the ports and their services
- To provide pilotage services and navigational aids for the ports and approaches
- To administer the provisions of the Shipping Act
- To act as a focal point for the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the IOPC Funds
- To administer the provisions of the Yachting Act.
Since 2000 the GPA has had jurisdiction over all stevedores working in the port. The GPA provides a range of services including:
- Receipt, storage and delivery of cargo
- Cargo sorting
- Chart sales
- Container rentals
- Delivery of containers to consignees' premises
- Hire of cargo handling equipment
- Mooring bouys
- Mooring or running lines
- Stuffing and stripping
- Sales of fresh water
No contacts yet.
Media & Links
No media yet.