Effects on shipping traffic:
- The Kiel Canal was reopened without restrictions for shipping traffic in both directions on Wednesday evening.
- In the meantime, more than 30 ships were waiting, according to the Waterways and Shipping Authority (WSA).
- Dozens of ships heading for Kiel were also stuck in the canal.
- In Brunsbüttel (Dithmarschen district) and Kiel-Holtenau, no more ships were allowed into the canal in the meantime. According to the WSA, one ship was stuck in the Brunsbüttel lock.
- Several ships have taken the alternative route around Skagen because of the temporary closure.