Video

Maryland bans cellphone use by cargo ship pilots


published on 9 January 2023 324 -

Found on YouTube. Created by "WBAL-TV 11 Baltimore". Originally published on 2023-01-06.
State regulators on Friday banned cargo ship pilots from using personal cellphones on Maryland waters. The Maryland Board of Pilots, which oversees cargo ship pilots, approved a rule change 10 months after, and in direct response to, the Ever Forward's weekslong grounding in the Chesapeake Bay. Instead of leading the team on the bridge of the Ever Forward, the pilot was on his phone for an hour, texting, sending emails and taking screenshots before running aground and getting stuck for 45 days, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Subscribe to WBAL on YouTube now for more: http://bit.ly/1oJSRCN

Get more Baltimore news: http://www.wbaltv.com
Like us: http://facebook.com/wbaltv11
Follow us: https://twitter.com/wbaltv11
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wbaltv11/
What's your opinion on this?
Login or register to write comments and join the discussion!
Read more...

Article Maryland bans cellphone use by maritime pilots

published on 9 January 2023

The Maryland Board of Pilots has decided to enact a rule change that forbids on-duty pilots from using their phones.

0

Video Suez canal blocked: attempts continue to free stuck megaship Ever Given

published on 25 March 2021

Efforts to free the giant container ship are continuing after the 400m-long vessel became stuck in the Suez canal. Local authorities attempted to dislodge the 220,000 ton vessel from the banks of the canal using tug boats, but the megaship remains stuck more than one day after it ran aground.

1

Video Evergreen containership aground near Baltimore

published on 15 March 2022

A container ship is reported to be stranded off the coast of Gibson Island in the Chesapeake Bay. Marine Tracker lists the ship as the Ever Forward and that it is aground. It appears there are several tugboats out of Baltimore trying to assist. The company that operates the ship, Evergreen, is the same one that was responsible for the ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal a year ago.

0

Video MV Wakashio breaks in two off Mauritius coast

published on 17 August 2020

A Japanese bulk carrier that has spilled more than 1,000 tons of oil since running aground off the coast of Mauritius has broken in two. Officials said the split was caused by a crack in a cargo hold, after the ship's condition deteriorated severely overnight. Emergency teams and thousands of volunteers have been racing to siphon off remaining fuel on board the ship.

1

Video Dynamic failure of pilot boats: Risk mitigation & management

published on 12 December 2020

Following a surf riding and broaching incident and subsequent collision by an experienced vessel operator, QinetiQ have been undertaking extensive investigations into the risk mitigation and safety management of pilotage operations. This presentation looks to discuss the risks presented during pilotage services, and provide a critical review of vessel design and service delivery approaches to understand the potential risk mitigations and management of pilot boat safety.

2

Article Fiji: Man dies after collision with pilot boat on 2021-01-08

by The Fiji Times - Narayan Reddy - published on 21 January 2021

A 42-years-old fisherman died after an accident at sea along the Navula passage in Momi Bay yester-day morning. Police spokeswoman said the victim was a passenger of a fishing boat.

0

Video Pilot of cargo ship Ever Forward, which ran aground in Chesapeake Bay last year, gives up license

published on 17 January 2023

Pilot of cargo ship Ever Forward, which ran aground in Chesapeake Bay last year, gives up license

1

Video APL Mexico City destroys crane in Antwerp (09.12.2019)

published on 2 September 2020

9 December 2019 - 'APL Mexico City' hits adrift and rams port crane in Antwerp.
Author of these images is unknown, they circulate freely on social media.
Should an author identify with these images and have any objections, they will be removed upon simple request to Flows.be.

0

Article Kiel Canal fully closed after accident

published on 30 November 2022

The Finnish special vessel "Meri" collided with Holtenau High Bridge (Holtenauer Hochbrücke) over the Kiel Canal early on Wednesday morning at around 4.37 am.

1